Tuesday 20 March 2012

Beyonce’s Protective Of Sister Solange Knowles

 Beyonce Knowles takes her big sister role to heart and her younger sister Solange reveals her protective ways. Solange completed a beautiful spread for Evening Standard Magazine, in the issue she talks her early pregnancy and wedding, music and her relationship with Beyonce.

On telling her parents about her pregnancy and marriage:
I just loved being at home and being domestic, she says. We would have gotten married for sure anyway, but then I found out I was pregnant. We were crazy, impulsive teenagers and I was obviously craving some sort of stability. [My family] were alarmed and frightened that their 17-year-old daughter wanted to get married and have a kid, but I’d been working since I was 13. I was making my own money. I wasn’t really asking permission, and once they found out I was serious about it, they were supportive and amazing.


 On revealing her decision to become a singer to her father:
And he told my mother, who said, Oh, no. We don’t want you doing this, too. You can do anything in the world! You’re so smart. I think she was nervous about me losing my childhood. My sister started at such a young age that this was her life for as long as she could remember. From a very early age I decided that I wanted to be able to do my music but still be able to live a normal life. I went into the meeting [with Columbia] and said, I want it to be clear that I want to write all of my music. I want to have control of that. I had grown up around this. After a disagreement with the label, Solange had to promote the album, Solo Star, on her own. I didn’t care. I didn’t need the money! She pauses. It wasn’t very successful.

On being an independent artist:
I don’t think there’s a need if you are able to fund it yourself and have a strong sense of development as an artist. It means you aren’t dependent on some A&R dude to position you with writers or producers or figure out your next direction. Major labels act as banks in terms of how they produce and release your album. No major label is really good or bad, they just 100 per cent operate as a business, which makes sense, no hard feelings.


 On growing her relationship with Beyonce:
[Kelly Rowland's] mother was a nanny for another family, so Kelly lived with us when they first moved from Atlanta. She was like a second sister. It definitely was tough, having your sister have a built-in BFF, and me being five years younger. But my sister was very protective of me, and we were very sweet with each other. I’m sure if we were closer in age we wouldn’t have gotten along so great. But we’ve been super-close ever since I was about 13. 

On spending time with Beyonce and Blue Ivy:
Yes. Actually, I invited them over for dinner tonight. I’m excited to see her; I haven’t seen her in a week and half. She wraps her coat around her, bracing against the weather. You know, my sister and I truly are best friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment