Tuesday 3 January 2012

Hudson Encouraged By Sounds Of Her Dead Brother's Voice In Her Head

Singer/actress Jennifer Hudson is spurred on to tackle the most daunting of tasks by listening to the encouraging voices of her late brother and mother in her head.

The Dreamgirls star was left devastated in October, 2008, when her mum Darnell and brother Jason were shot to death in their Chicago, Illinois home, while the body of her seven-year-old nephew Julian King was found in a car nearby three days later.

Hudson withdrew from the spotlight as she mourned the loss of her loved ones, but she decided to return to the stage by performing The Star Spangled Banner at the 2009 Superbowl just three months later.

Hudson reveals her big comeback was all down to some wise words she had previously received from her beloved sibling and she was determined to make her family proud.

Discussing her stage return in a candid new interview on U.S. news show Dateline, she explains, "Well, I felt as though I had to (return to the stage). Again, just the same as I hear my mother's voice in my head, I can hear my brother's voice in my head. And he... they, like, everybody, it's like, 'Is she ever gonna sing again?'

"And what was I gonna say to that? I could hear him, like, 'Jennifer...' He would always say, 'Knock it off, Jenny,' if I was crying about something or if I was upset, discouraged, mad... 'Jenny, knock it off.' That's what I hear in my head. And it's like, 'OK, well, what (do) they want me to do? I can either just sit here and mope around, or do what I know would make them proud.' And that's what I did."

The full interview is due to air in the U.S. on 8 January (12).

No comments:

Post a Comment