Friday 5 October 2012

"I'm Confident With My Weight, But I Get Shaken In This Business"


"The Big C" star told an audience full of women that she made a conscious decision to be happy with herself. And it's made her the confident fun-loving woman she is today. And she likely would have never taken her break out role in Precious if she didn't have this confidence:

“I didn’t really get to grow up hearing that I was beautiful a lot, or that I was worth anything nor did I grow up seeing myself on TV. Then at some point when I was 21 or 22 I just decided that life wasn’t worth living if I wasn’t happy with myself so I just took all the steps that I could to figure out how to love myself and become confident. Truthfully speaking if I hadn’t found this person before that movie [Precious] I wouldn’t have even be in that movie."

The funny 29-year-old also gave a rare insight into her insecurities and what shakes her in this business. And she told a story about seeing her face on a tabloid that said she weighed 250 pounds:

“People see me as a confident person but I get shaken a lot, especially being in this business. A few weeks ago I was on vacation and I went into a CVS [a pharmacy chain of shops in the US] and as I’m paying I see a picture of myself on the cover of a magazine and they’re guesstimating what my weight is? The headline was 'Gabourey Sidibe 250 pounds'." In that moment she had to deal with not only the cashier seeing the horrible and inaccurate article, but also everyone else in the shop and in other shops.

And just how does she keep it moving when she feels down in this business?

“I have to keep going and living my life, so when things like that upset me I have to find things that build my confidence back up. Because I don’t want to wait for work I want to make work."

By the way, she also revealed that she plans to start writing scripts and working behind the camera pretty soon. We already love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment